Angela Drew, Art Specialist
- From: East Coast
- Years of Teaching Experience: Over 12 with an additional 5 in curriculum development
- Years at FMS: 10
- Degrees: BFA from Corcoran School of Art and Design
- Qualifications: Additional coursework includes graphic design, photography, marketing and curriculum development. Also, I was fortunate to be part of Public Programming for the Walters Art Gallery and Maryland Museum of African Art where I got the opportunity to work with professors and educators from many countries. Being part of an international think tank — the World Resources Institute — which developed environmental educational materials for educators in over 50 countries, was also an amazing experience. These roles provided me with a sense that anything is possible with education, creativity and motivation.
- Thing about teaching: I don’t know where to start. FMS is such a wonderful community of people and I feel fortunate to be part of that. Each day I am greeted with these amazing children that are filled with excitement and enthusiasm to learn. Having the opportunity to be part of their development, to foster that creativity, and to see the amazing paths they choose is such a gift.
- Thing about Montessori: I love the teachers, classrooms, materials, mixed-age groups; the sense of responsibility instilled in the students; and the learning environment. Of course, I could keep going but you get the sense that I am a BIG fan.
- Hobbies: Anything health- and fitness-oriented. Bring on the veggies!
- Quote: “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.”– Picasso; and “How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it.”– George Elliston
- What are you looking forward to this year? Love the art curriculum this year so I get so excited to share new books and lessons. Crazy art lady coming through with her cart!
- What inspires you? The children inspire me the most. I gain inspiration from my environment and from other artists every day.
- Who is your mentor? I have many mentors and feel fortunate to take the role of student more often than the role of educator. We are all co-existing, co-creating and co-dependent. I look to each person whether old or young as a means to learn and grow. So my answer is that it could be my chiropractor’s words of wisdom, a mother at the school who says something in passing, a primary child who looked at a project in a totally different way, or an author who had me up until 2am reading an inspirational novel. Each day is a new adventure!
- “Angela is such a dedicated teacher, always striving to concurrently provide new artistic projects with relevant lessons of history. She reaches each child on an individual level, so it is no surprise to see every one of them gravitate to her loving, open heart. Angela is a master of drawing students in and there is no doubt that we are a better school for it!” — Erica Sherlock, E1 Head Teacher
- “I’m so fortunate to work with such a warm and loving person whose passion for art is felt not only by the children, but by the teachers, as well.” — Pauline Well, P4 Support Teacher
- “Inmensamente admirada por alumnos y profesores.” — Yasnay Figueredo, E3 Spanish Immersion/Support Teacher
- “Ms. Angela has a gift for helping every child develop and express their unique artistic natures through activities that are infused with captivating stories and amazing historical facts!” — Nina Jacobi, E3 Head Teacher
- “Not only is Angela a great artist, but a wonderful teacher, as well. Her art lessons in Primary are always well-prepared, thoughtful, imaginative and fun! The children are always excited to see her!” — Melissa Eckes, P2 Head Teacher
- “Angela has always been a beautiful person inside and out! Angela has forever made a tapestry on my heart. Angela is creative, insightful, nurturing and giving.” — Valerie DeCrescenzo, Outdoor Classroom Specialist
- “Angela has wonderfully creative lessons and a nurturing spirit. The children adore her.” — Joan Phillips, E5 Co-Teacher
- “Angela is the best! She is sweet and energetic and you can tell she truly loves what she does. The children always listen to her lessons closely and feel proud of their art projects!” — Kat Klehm, P4 Head Teacher
- “We get to do fun art projects with her.” – Michael, P3 Student
- “She reads the story very clear.” – Dylan , P3 Student
- “I love her.” – Ben, P3 Student
- “She’s a great teacher.” – Myles, P3 Student
- “She lets us do art projects on our own.” – Kate, P3 Student
- “She loves Art” – Willow, P3 Student
- “Her pictures of art are super beautiful.” – Ryan, P3 Student
- “She is artistic and kind.” — Himmat, E4 Student
- “She is creative.” — Emery, E4 Student
- “Ms. Angela is funny when she tells us the story about the sweet tooth and she is good at the voice of the sweet tooth.” — Ben, E4 Student