April Dane, E4 Head Teacher
- From: Honolulu, Hawaii
- Years of Teaching Experience: 25
- Years at FMS: 10
- Degrees: MA in curriculum and instruction, BA in Psychology
- Other Qualifications: Literacy Endorsement
- Montessori Certifications: 6-9 Lower Elementary Certification
- Thing about teaching: Learning from children, watching their excitement and laughing with them.
- Thing about Montessori: The cultural curriculum, respect for the child and the beautiful Montessori materials.
- Hobbies: Biking, reading, traveling, cooking, gardening and painting.
- Quote: “It is the spirit of the child that can determine the course of human progress and lead it perhaps even to a higher form of civilization.” — Maria Montessori
- Subjects: Reading and writing.
- What are you looking forward to this year? Camping with our class in Zion.
- What inspires you? Children’s literature, music, books, art and my daughters.
- Who is your mentor? Leanne and Amy for their vision along with all of the lower elementary teachers; their dedication and innovation are inspiring.
“Ms. April is a positive thinker. She would always acknowledge me even if I got something wrong. She has a great sense of humor.” — Hank Edwards (former E4 student; currently in E5)
“She always encouraged me to do my best! She would help me with things I could not figure out. I miss her a lot!” — Alano Weddell (former E4 student; currently in E5)
“Ms. April is really, really kind and loving. She is fun and funny and picks out great books to read.” — Eva Freeman, current E4 student