As we all get back into the rhythm of the new school year we are pulling from our archives to dive into some of the basics of Montessori. Today we are looking at the benefits of a Montessori environment.
How does the Montessori method provide the most optimal environment for the development of the child?
• Montessori teachers are trained to have a clear understanding of attachment, exploration, self-help skills, empowerment, pro-social skills, problem solving skills, self-esteem, and resiliency.
• The Montessori method individualizes learning through children’s interactions with the materials as they proceed at their own rates of mastery.
• Individualized instruction provides opportunities for development of many skills, such as physical coordination, perception, attention, memory, language, logical thinking, and imagination.
• Multi-aged Montessori classroom (children are with their classmates and teacher for a three year span) provides a continuity of care, fostering attachments and promoting trust.
• Children learn virtue, empathy and kindness through social and emotional guidance during group meetings and through grace and courtesy lessons.
• Montessori materials are designed to foster concentration, coordination, independence, order, and a respect for all living things.
• Children in a Montessori environment are active learners and are productively engaged throughout their work time.
• Montessori lessons are designed to make the most of the critical early years for learning linguistically, cognitively, socially, emotionally, and physically.Share