Rosie Bushbaum, E2 Head Teacher
- From: Grew up on a small farm outside of Portland, Oregon
- Years of Teaching Experience: 25 years of teaching experience in a Montessori classroom (23 years teaching ages 3-6 and two years teaching ages 6-9). Several years teaching outdoor education.
- Years at FMS: 10
- Degrees: BS in education
- Montessori Certifications: Primary Certification, Lower Elementary Certification
- Other Qualifications: Former trainer for AAEYC
- Thing about Montessori: There are so many things that I love about Montessori; it is very difficult to narrow it down to one idea. I love that we have mixed ages in each classroom, that children work at their own pace and that we teach children how to learn, not what to learn. I get to work with children using beautiful and amazing hands-on materials in an authentic, prepared environment. And, I must not forget the curriculum. We have a curriculum like no other — we give children the Universe! The Montessori classroom has innovative thinkers.
- Hobbies: Hiking, camping, reading, traveling, designing and implementing materials for the classroom, and painting.
- Quote: “Let us give children a vision of the whole Universe … The Universe is an imposing reality, and an answer to all questions. We shall walk together on this path of life; for all things are a part of the Universe, and are connected with each other to form one whole unity. The idea is to help the mind of the child to become fixed, to stop wandering in an aimless quest for knowledge. He is satisfied, having found the Universal Centre of himself with all things.” — Maria Montessori
- What is your goal for 2014? To learn one new thing each day.
- What inspires you? Children! I am always changing and becoming a better person because of children. They teach me things that no book or professor could ever teach.
- What is something people don’t know about you? I was involved in a Volunteer Program comparable to VISTA for two years after graduating from college. Along with another teacher we started up a Head Start School outside of Portland, Maine. After working there for one year I was transferred to another teaching position in Dorchester, MA. My transfer was to a Montessori School serving children of low-income families; it is still in existence today! It was after teaching at Notre Dame Montessori School and watching the children explore and discover on their own and witnessing their “aha” moments that I was encouraged to study Montessori — and I have never looked back.
- “Rosie is someone I look up to; she is an amazing and dedicated teacher. Her number one priority is always the children.” — Yesenia Quintero, P1 Head Teacher
- “I have known Rosie for many years. She has always given a great deal of encouragement, kindness and love to all her students and her peers. She is a wealth of knowledge and the FMS family has made a great a choice in this wonderful teacher.” — Valerie DeCrescenzo, Outdoor Classroom Specialist
- “Rosie has such a wealth of Montessori knowledge! Before she joined the Lower Elementary team, she was a valued member of the Primary community. She always had the most beautiful and interesting Practical Life activities in her classroom and an amazing array of language jobs.” — Melissa Eckes, P2 Head Teacher
- “Rosie is the poster child for what you would call a dedicated teacher. She was one of my Montessori trainers and I learned such a wealth of information from her. She is calm, considerate and methodical in her teaching. She is amazing! Everyone loves Ms. Rosie!” — Kat Klehm, P4 Head Teacher
- “Rosie is one of the most lovely, dedicated and sweet people I have the pleasure to work with.” — Pauline Well, P4 Support Teacher
- “Rosie is the best assistant during Physical Education. She is attentive, involved and embodies the definition of being a caring and loving teacher while maintaining her sense of humor. Rosie, thank you for all of your help. I love teaching P.E, with your help.” – Angela Warren, Physical Education Specialist
- “She’s kind and very helpful.” — Lauren, Student
- “She’s really nice and good at teaching.” — Aimee, Student
- “She teaches me really challenging works.” — Luke, Student